The Lee Group is a full service, Houston-based advertising agency. We pride ourselves in providing fully integrated solutions that enable our clients to better reach their target audience with the right message, across the right channels, at the right times. Since we began, The Lee Group has won more than 370 local, regional, and national creative awards,
Exceptional client service is paramount to our success. And we are currently seeking the right individual to support and grow in that role.
The selected Account Director will be responsible for effectively managing and building business for the assigned accounts, strategic leadership, planning, effective project management and impeccable quality control, ensuring on-time delivery and accuracy for all assigned client projects.
She/he will learn everything possible about the assigned clients, their related markets and industries, and will take on active account management responsibilities following that learning curve.
The Account Director’s primary responsibility is to lead, manage, build and supervise accounts. In addition, the Account Director must demonstrate a commitment and ability to increase technical skills, manage and develop staff, monitor and control budgets, and cultivate new client opportunities through new business efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides strategic consultation to clients on their projects and business; Collaborates with clients on market planning and larger/strategic initiatives; Assists clients in providing clear strategic direction, objectives/goals and KPI for each initiative.
- Assists in developing SOW; sets campaign budgets and negotiates fee for out-of-scope assignments.
- Assists account leadership in developing long-term strategies and programs to position clients for success.
- Prepares or reviews all strategic documents, POVs, plans, proposals and other major written materials before they are submitted for client review.
- Works with client to identify opportunities/initiative/programs with the potential to grow client business/increase SOW for the agency.
- Stays current on trade and business media and on client’s business through frequent interaction, discussion and research on the latest business issues, marketing trends and competitive threats.
- Acts as mid-senior level client counterpart, keeping two-way communication going and proactively seeking opportunities to build relationships, provide marketing consultation and add value to the business relationship.
- Gains the confidence of the client and the client’s personnel so that they seek guidance and advice on a routine basis.
- Conducts weekly reviews of reported hours to ensure team’s time expenditures are managed and projects are executed within budget.
- Anticipates potential problems before they become issues; Reacts to crisis situations by informing the Account Director and assists in developing and implementing solutions.
- Manages and assigns marketing programs, media campaigns and overall project workflow to subordinate team to foster growth opportunities.
- Assists in coordinating agency resources to service ongoing projects and build long term operational plans.
- Manages overall budgeting responsibility for accounts.
- Searches for opportunities to develop additional business from existing clients as well as attract new clients; Writes proposals for new business presentations.
- Constantly reviews the activities of the account executives and other staff for performance, productivity and development.
- Develop a spirit of teamwork and high morale among direct reports and other support personnel.
- Enhances the creativity of staff by providing examples of competitive ads or exceptional work outside the category.
- Reviews plans, proposals, press materials, major copy and edits prior to submission to clients.
- Analyzes marketplace and profession through journals, trade shows, etc.
- Keeps senior leadership informed of pertinent activities and potential problems.
- Collaborates with creative, digital and media team to implement process enhancements to improve efficiency in workflow.
- Plans the strategic approach and develop a cost budget by task for each project/account.
- Establishes sound start-up procedures for each client.
- Participates in fee negotiation, billing and collections, and client relations.
- Helps to achieve profitability goals based on budgeted expectations.
- Continually looks for growth opportunities to manage the development of account service team on a holistic and individual level.
- Conducts effective and timely staff evaluations at the conclusion of projects and participate in semi-annual evaluation and career counseling sessions.
- Schedules staff workloads to maintain agency-established standards for billable hours and staff utilization rates and minimize staff overtime and downtime.
- Trains staff through direct supervision of client engagements and review of the work they perform.
- Provides regular and direct feedback to staff regarding their performance to promote morale and enthusiasm.
- Communicates with Ann Lee, Principal on a regular basis about individual staff performance.
- Demonstrates the ability to market and sell agency services and develop a thorough understanding of the services offered by TLG.
- Identifies marketing opportunities created through business and social contacts and participation in industry and civic organizations.
- Expands services provided to existing clients by identifying client needs and gaining client confidence.
- Participates in new business development by assisting senior leadership with new proposal and deck creation as well as presenting to the potential new client.
- Serves as a model for the account service department to ensure excellence in all aspects of client service.
- Develops trust and respect from clients, senior leadership and subordinates by demonstrating sound business judgment, effective administrative skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Enhances communication skills, gains industry expertise, and demonstrates independent problem solving and analytical capabilities.
KEY ACCOUNT SERVICE EXPERTISE
Familiar (Learning): Exhibit or be striving towards a basic understanding of the job/responsibility including roles and process. Should be assisting more senior team members to: help with foundational aspects of projects, model best practices and be mentored.
- New business development, new business onboarding, agency operation
Developing (Assisting): Actively works alongside/shadows senior team members on higher order/client facing tasks (writing first drafts of POV/strategic documents, leading presentations, leading feedback sessions, etc.)
- Client thought leadership/business development, leading RFP evaluation and response
Competent (Leading): Displaying confidence and consistency in running projects – establishing process, leading input sessions with Client and KO meetings internally, leading presentations, comfort working with senior Clients/creatives/external vendors. Exhibiting understanding of when/how to escalate or seek guidance from senior team members.
- Marketing planning, strategic POVs, Client conflict/issue management, organic client growth, managing up,
Proficient (Educating/Refining): Consistently showcasing high level of competency/mastery from development of process through implementation and all cross functional implications. Adept at training/managing staff at all proficiency levels. Actively assesses projects and process to find gaps and proactively offer new solutions. Displays knowledge of agency capabilities and resource limitations.
- Print, OOH, email, display, social media, radio, online video, TV, CRM
- Client input, brief writing, kick-off, presentation, product/service knowledge, competitive intelligence, team leadership, Ownership Thinking
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Proactively seeks opportunities to provide service to clients; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
Dependability – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Diversity – Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
Ethics – Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works ethically and with integrity; Upholds organizational values.
Initiative – Volunteers readily and demonstrates the ability to work autonomously; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
Interpersonal – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Is open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in the decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; Completes tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization’s goals and values; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem-solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Professionalism – Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
Quality – Demonstrates proficiency, accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to continuously improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members.
Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Certificates and Licenses: None
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint and Clients & Profits.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; Seven to eleven years of related previous experience and/or training in account executive and senior account executive roles or responsibilities; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Ability: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common-sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job supervises Account Executives and Senior Account Executives, as needed.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a short description of why you feel like you might be the ideal candidate for this position. Applications submitted without the above qualifications and the requested information will not be considered.